Eichardt’s was born as a result of the rich vein of gold, which drew many prospectors, opportunists and downright optimists from around the globe to the shores of Lake Wakatipu.
The quest for pastoral land brought William Gilbert Rees to the shores of Lake Wakatipu in 1859 when he built a homestead on the lakefront and erected a woolshed on the site now occupied by Eichardt’s Hotel.
When gold was discovered in the nearby Shotover River, Rees found himself at the centre of a gold rush – his homestead declared an official goldfield and the main business area developed around the station. The entrepreneurial Rees quickly turned to the hotel keeping business, the woolshed was given a wooden façade and turned into a hotel and named the Queen’s Arms.
In early 1866, Rees entered into partnership with Albert Eichardt who went on to become the sole proprietor of the hotel by 1869. Eichardt renamed the hotel Eichardt’s Queen’s Arms Hotel, but during his time there, it came to be known simply as Eichardt’s Private Hotel where he catered mostly for tourists as the tenor of the town evolved from a mining settlement to something more permanent.
Eichardt’s today accommodates discerning travellers from around the globe.
Staff at Eichardt’s
Originally from Auckland, New Zealand and most recently of Melbourne, Australia with the Rydges group and The Windsor (Oberoi).
Eichardt’s Bar has one of the best wine lists in the region, overseen by Gary – who will also make you the perfect coffee in the morning. From Morecombe in the UK and formerly with Les Alpes in Queenstown, Gary has also experienced life among the vines in the Barossa and McLaren Vale as part of his wine training.
Most recently at Amsfield prior to Eichardt’s; Will brings British, European and Mediterranean influences to Eichardt’s menu, having spent years in the Med and Alps refining his style.